The Trump administration has just set the refugee admissions goal for next fiscal year at 30,000 - the lowest level in U.S. history
. This drastically low number will leave tens of thousands of vulnerable refugees without a chance at safety. Here is a rapid response toolkit
to equip everyone to take action on this.
Communities around the country are prepared to welcome at least 75,000 refugees. Refugees are more than just a global figure; they are families torn apart, children who have witnessed profound violence, and people seeking a chance to rebuild their lives and raise a family in safety. Protecting vulnerable populations is not a zero-sum game; we can and should protect refugees and others fleeing violence or persecution. As people who care about refugees, we must make our voices heard
and tell both the White House and Congress that 30,000 is inexcusable
and that we must set a refugee admissions goal of at least 75,000. The White House is required under U.S. law to consult with Congress prior to setting the annual refugee admissions number. This has not happened yet, which means Congress can and must weigh in today.
Here are the top five ways to take action:
- Call Your Senators & Representative Today: Click here to be connected to your 2 Senators and 1 Representative. Here is an example of what to say: “I’m your constituent from [CITY/TOWN], and I urge you to protect the refugee resettlement program. I am outraged that President Trump has set a new historic low for FY 2019’s refugee admissions goal at 30,000. Protecting vulnerable populations is not a zero-sum game; we can and should protect refugees and others fleeing violence or persecution. Refugee resettlement facilitates U.S. diplomatic, national security, and foreign policy interests. The White House is also required to consult with Congress prior to setting the refugee admissions number, but they have not done so. Congress must act. I urge you to do everything in your power to see the administration resettle at least 75,000 refugees in 2019 and to stop the administration from further dismantling the resettlement program. My community welcomes refugees, and I urge you to reflect the best of our nation by supporting refugee resettlement.
- Share on Social Media: Some sample messages and graphics are here.
- Host a Press Conference or Vigil in Your Community: Consider inviting refugee leaders to tell their stories, faith leaders, business leaders and local elected officials. Invite the media to show a strong message of support to welcome refugees. Click here for the #Welcome75k toolkit which has sample media advisories and steps to host a public witness event.
- Write an Opinion Editorial (Op-Ed) or Letter to the Editor (LTE): A well-placed piece in local media outlets has the power to influence decision makers. Click here for a #Welcome75K Toolkit for sample op-ed’s & LTEs.
- Share Within this Toolkit and the #Welcome75k Toolkit widely within your networks: Reach out to your family, friends and people within your network and urge them to take action and circulate these resources.
CWS's statement is available here
. For more information, please visit: https://greateras1.org/act/.
Thank you for your work. Please share this alert widely within your networks.
From our friends at Church World Service.